Friday, January 07, 2011

VY, VY, and the NFL playoffs

If I wrote this blog like it was one of our shows the last two days it would go something like this. VY! VY! VY! VY!

When the news came from Bud Adams that he would not be a Titan any longer, that set the wheels in motion at about 200 miles per hour from the VY Fanboys - that re-introduced to me by some all-star bloggers and tweeters. (Thanks @Zepp1978 & @StephStradley)

Pretty much impossible to have a reasonable discussion about Vince Young and his future. I covered hit at Madison and at the University of Texas, I even went to UT, but I try to be objective about his NFL career. I'll save that for a later date, since it will likely be months or longer until he has a new NFL address.

Instead, my thoughts on the NFL playoffs.
I still think it's wrong to give division champs homefield advantage in the playoffs. It's very pronounced this year since Seattle went 7-9 and will host 11-5 New Orleans. Both Kansas City and Indianapolis will also host while winning fewer games than their opponents. Green Bay and Philadelphia, both 10-6, match up on Sunday with the Eagles hosting since they won their division, while the Packers are a wild card team. Should I mention that Green Bay beat Philly earlier this year?

I've had this discussion with MJ on the show many times over the years, so you know my position. Oh by the way, the Colts are the only home team I am picking to advance.

I think the return of a running game for Peyton Manning helps a great deal and I'm fine casting my lot on Manning's ability to come through against the Jets defense over Mark Sanchez's likelihood of doing the same against the Colts defenders. I do expect the game to hang in the balance into the final few minutes.

I'll Baltimore in KC, even though I think KC is being given less respect than they deserve. I do think their really poor showing last week might be in their heads a bit and conversely Baltimore has been here with this group three years straight now and that will show.

Seattle actually has a legitimate homefield advantage, but it won't matter. It also doesn't matter which subpar Seattle QB plays either. The Saints should annihilate the Seahawks and I fully expect the to do that.

Eagles-Packers shapes up to be an awesome game that I expect to be high-scoring. I expect at east one non-offensive touchdown, at least 2 touchdowns from Michael Vick in his first postseason start since January 2005. That was also in Philadelphia although it was the NFC title game and his Falcons were handled easily. I think Vick plays well, but I think his counterpart Aaron Rodgers plays great and the Packers advance.

Here's your OT reminder.
- If the team that receives the ball first scores a touchdown the game is over.
- If the team that receives the ball first scores a field goal, then they will kick off as usual and the other team will win if they score a touchdown, will lose if they cannot score and will send the game into sudden if they match the field goal.
- If the team that receives the ball first does not score, then sudden death essentially begins then.
- If the team kicking off to begin overtime, recovers an onside kick, that will count as a possession for the other team and sudden death would commence then.

Here's a full primer including a history of postseason overtime games.

By the way, this rule change in my opinion was silly and unnecessary. One other note - there were 19 overtime games during the regular season and only twice did the team receiving the opening kickoff take the ball and score on that possession to end the game.

No comments: